Monday, February 13, 2012

A recipe from my long ago

I ate vegetarian for many years. Long story why I stopped. I still don't eat a great deal of meat. We had company for dinner over the weekend, and I made Cashew Chili, a favorite from my 20's. Julie Jordan, the originator of the recipe, owned a restaurant in Ithaca, New York for many years. It was named Cabbagetown Cafe, and I remember meals there with great fondness. I Googled Julie, and she is apparently working for Wegmans, a supermarket chain in upstate New York, as their head of vegetarian cooking. Good for her--I'm sure it gives her a wider audience.

Anyway, here is a link to a version of Cashew Chili, based on her original. I omitted the carrots, bay leaf, and vinegar, used raisins instead of molasses and raw cashews instead of roasted. It was delicious. I'm glad I resurrected it, and I'm going to make it again soon. Maybe I can even persuade Mr. Carnivore Ninja  to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment