Monday, April 16, 2012

Read a book this week

Over the weekend, I picked up and skimmed through one of my favorite novels, Mary McCarthy’s “Birds of America”. The book is set in 1964, and tells the story of Peter Levi, an idealistic young man of nineteen. Peter spends the summer with his
charming-but-considered-eccentric mother, in a New England town where the times are definitely a-changin’. He then heads to Paris, to spend his junior year of college studying at the Sorbonne, and finds that even more changes are taking place in the world.

I heart this book. Peter is a droll but lovable character; when I was younger I wished he really existed so that I could go out with him. His mom is delightful and highly principled. The supporting characters are a fun bunch.

Read it. You’ll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment